What are the Benefits of a Chemical Peel?
Chemical exfoliation is a preferred way to get rid of dead skin cells. But without a doubt, people are nervous when they hear the word peel. While many people are starting to understand that chemical peels are just another (often mild!) form of exfoliation, others hear the phrase and immediately panic. We get it — the mere category sounds like something a masochistic mad scientist would cook up in a lab. Visions of red, flaking skin flash through their minds, and who wants to look like that?
So what should you expect if you get a peel?
The answer is, as always, it really depends on your individual need, goals, lifestyle, and most important your skin type.
At Beauty Bar Medispa we have a wide range of treatments — from mild no-peel/no downtime… just a healthy glow type of chemical peel to our more advanced peels where you can almost be guaranteed that you will shed skin. However, the days of burning the skin like the episode of Samantha in Sex and the City, are no longer necessary to achieve optimum results.
There are many benefits to receiving a chemical peel. Not only do chemical peels reveal a brighter, smoother, and more refined complexion, they also improve the overall look and feel of the skin in just one treatment. Other benefits of receiving a chemical peel include:
- Improving the skin’s color, clarity, tone, and texture
- Stimulating new collagen and healthy skin cell growth, resulting in a radiant complexion
- Reducing discoloration caused by sun damage
- Helping to clear up breakouts
- Smoothing away the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increasing hydration of the skin
- Addressing visible skin imperfections and superficial scars
- Enabling skincare products used at home to be more effective because a peel can remove several layers of skin build-up and congestion, allowing products to penetrate deeper into the skin
For long-term results, we recommend a series of three or more chemical peels, spaced four to six weeks apart. The benefit of receiving a series of peels is that this treatment will be able to target the deeper layers of the epidermis, giving your skin an enhanced exfoliation. This type of deep exfoliation can stimulate cellular turnover, resulting in the production of healthy, glowing skin.
The type of chemical peel used will be determined by your clinical aesthetician during your initial consultation based on your skin type, its current condition, your lifestyle, and your desired outcome.
Post Care Instructions for Chemical Peels
- Avoid strenuous exercise or sweating for 24-48 hours
- Avoid massages until the next day
- Do not wear makeup until the next day
- Do not shower until the next day
- Treat skin gently, by washing with a gentle cleanser, cool water, using hands only and pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after peel – best to wait until next morning
- Follow post peel instruction sheet with products
- Avoid sun exposure and use a minimum of SPF 30 daily and every 2 hours if outdoors